A/C Compressor

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Gents - my A/C compressor is leaking. My mechanic friend suggested replacing it.
I called my local Ford dealer, and supposedly unobtainable.
Does anyone know if it's same as in another Ford or car, or if there is a suitable replacement?
Thanks!

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Hmmmm... where is it leaking from? Frankly, I would seriously doubt that the compressor needs to be replaced. Rather, there are (2) o-rings that will age out and if you replace those, you should be good to go. (BTW, I think I have a new compressor if you should need one... but I don't think you will need it.)

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Kendall - Thanks would you know part number for o-rings? Maybe could just buy 2 off you if you stock them?

Last edited:

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
I had one leaking out the front.
The only one I found. It worked. Wire location is slightly different.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Kendall - Thanks would you know part number for o-rings? Maybe could just buy 2 off you if you stock them?

Dang! I knew you were going to ask that! LOL I can't be sure what the right part number is... but I DO know that it is nothing unique to the GT!!

I have a part number written down here... but I'm not sure if the right one. 1F1Z19E889AB

On the rare case where we've had AC compressors leak, it is at the block where the high and low pressure lines connect. See the pic below. If the dealership can confirm that this is a plausible location of the leak, then they need to evacuate the system and remove the single bolt that secures that block. Once removed, they can confirm the green o-ring size. (Two are required, one for each line.) I'd be 90% sure that they have the right o-rings in stock.

As back-up, you could also by a green o-ring set HERE and you'd probably be covered.

Here's a picture of the AC compressor and the block attaching the two lines. (This is from one of the cars in the shop - and this particular compressor is very clean.)

IMG_0555_sm.jpg

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
With a tad more research, I think that's a good part number for the o-rings needed... also called Motorcraft YF2963.

(A/C Line O-Ring; Green, 20.25mm ID x 3.53mm Thick; A/C Line At Compressor)

Used on a gazillion Ford vehicles from 1997 - 2008. Should be easy to find. Wow, a GT part that may be easy to find. Go figure!

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Kendall, thanks very much for that info. Yes, the O-rings can't be unique to the GT, and we should be able to replace them easily. Likewise for the internals of the compressor. I think that also applies to the wearing parts of the PS pump, water pump, etc.

Speaking of which, after 20 years, I think my AC needs some more refrigerant. While it is still working, it is not as effective as it used to be, and I think it cycles somewhat more often. However, since you mentioned it, I will inspect the hose connection block for any leakage of refrigerant oil. I'll probably just add a can, using my gauges to keep the upper pressure within limits. Other than that, I should be good for another decade or two.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
I was at our dealer this week, and needed the oil pan pump hose o ring. Ford is NLA, but out of the Ford computer gave precise dimensions for me to source it. Point is that in some cases the official dimensions might be available out of the Ford systems for other NLA O rings.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I was at our dealer this week, and needed the oil pan pump hose o ring. Ford is NLA, but out of the Ford computer gave precise dimensions for me to source it. Point is that in some cases the official dimensions might be available out of the Ford systems for other NLA O rings.

I became an O-ring sizing expert because of the various fixtures in my swimming pool valves. Every O-ring has an assigned number. The dimensions are fixed. Every #160 is the same size as every other one. The inexact science comes from trying to match the dimensions of an old o-ring and then reversing the dimensions to the number. The easiest part is the cross section diameter of the ring itself - age changes it but there are fixed CS so you can almost always get the right one. The CS determines the difference between ID and OD of the ring, and again, there are fixed sizes. So if you lay a ring on on a ruler, you can get pretty damn close to the ID/OD based on the quantized CS numbers. I have a local hardware store that stocks EVERY O-ring size, and with the existing ring one of their better service guys can get you within one or two "numbers" of a matching ring. vgf

My hardware store has the standard sizes but for "big" ones like on the top of the filter basket the are some specialty O-ring sites. captainoring.com has virtually everything size and application.

Google "O ring numbers" will bring you to a number of sites that list the sizes.

The hardware store I use is a commercial distributor that sells singles. O-ring prices are in the sub-$1 range for all of the sizes, so if you get within one or two numbers based on the wear and compression of the CS, it's still a good deal.

O-rings are color coded by application. The ones you see in the hardware stores are black for BUNA -N composition for water type applications. I think the ones used in A/C applications are green...

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Speaking of which, after 20 years, I think my AC needs some more refrigerant. While it is still working, it is not as effective as it used to be, and I think it cycles somewhat more often. However, since you mentioned it, I will inspect the hose connection block for any leakage of refrigerant oil. I'll probably just add a can, using my gauges to keep the upper pressure within limits. Other than that, I should be good for another decade or two.
Yeah, Pete, virtually every GT coming through here these days is in need of a little more refrigerant. Completely normal after 20 years! Frequent cycling of the AC clutch is an easy and conclusive "tell". For all owners - please try to exercise your AC a little bit each time you run your car. This will help significantly with the longevity of the o-rings throughout the AC system.

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
Compressor came with O rings. Ford O rings are 1F1Z 19E889 AB
GT AC.jpg