NFGT Trans Cooler

gregmhtd

GT Owner
May 10, 2016
Prosper, TX
Has anyone ever had an issue with their transmission cooler cracking. Mine cracked in after 2 months of owning the car, Ford replaced the cooler and transmission lines after 3 months of back and forth diagnostics with the dealer. Now 3 1/2 years later it happened again. Ford is willing to replace at a 70% discount, still $5K, but if this is an issue I have a custom option I can go with and for about the same out of pocket expense. Almost 10K miles on the GT, curious if anyone else has seen this issue.

Biginch Blake

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 4, 2008
Rockville, Indiana
Yes, there have been many failures including mine. There replacement coolers will also crack over time. Myself and some others went to the cooler manufacturer in Indy and they have a better/beefy cooler. I can dig some if you would like. Ford will not install, we had to do it ourselves. I think it will only work on cars that had the “upgrade” coolers and lines that Ford installed.

Reactions: white out

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I have one of the coolers as Big Inch described. My original has not leaked yet, but some of the video I have seen shows bubbles coming out at the joints, not some gushing stream. There is a small weep hole probably covered with PPF that hides the leak. I think it is not a matter of if, but when. Sounds to me like Ford is giving you a good deal on an out of warranty car.

Reactions: Ed Sims

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Yes, there have been many failures including mine. There replacement coolers will also crack over time. Myself and some others went to the cooler manufacturer in Indy and they have a better/beefy cooler. I can dig some if you would like. Ford will not install, we had to do it ourselves. I think it will only work on cars that had the “upgrade” coolers and lines that Ford installed.
Blake, who makes the OEM cooler?

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Disappointing to hear, but great info guys- thanks. I better check and see if my PPF is masking a problem.

Biginch Blake

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 4, 2008
Rockville, Indiana
This is the information on the supplier that Brian and I had built the coolers. They built the original ones but this is a heavy duty one.

Attachments

• IMG_6687.png
    IMG_6687.png
    543.1 KB · Views: 19

Biginch Blake

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 4, 2008
Rockville, Indiana
Better photo

Attachments

• IMG_6688.png
    IMG_6688.png
    510.6 KB · Views: 25

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Note that the price from Ford is more than what you see on this invoice. The lines have to be replummed and very costly fluid replaced. I will wait and see if mine starts to leak before I replace. I have 8700 miles on the car now.

gregmhtd

GT Owner
May 10, 2016
Prosper, TX
This is the information on the supplier that Brian and I had built the coolers. They built the original ones but this is a heavy duty one.
are you saying this is the company built and supplied all the coolers to Multimatic, which are the ones that are failing, but came out with a heavy duty version? If this is a common defect and ongoing problem, seems it should be a recall, they should not be failing, and if the HD version works, should have been used from the beginning. Could be that many of these cars aren't driven enough for the problem to occur...yet

Reactions: dshears

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Yes this is the company that furnished them to Multimatic. I don't think anyone knows the failure rate except Ford. Your warranty is 3 years unlimited mileage. An upgrade to a vehicle line is not unusual but they don't retrofit earlier models. The L series cars and beyond got 13 more horsepower than mine but you can't change my J series to the upgrade. When gauges started to go out in the 05-06 cars, the official response was you had a 3 year warranty. Sorry.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I’m familiar with C&R and have their coolers on other cars. I’m surprised to hear of the failures. The ones I’ve purchased have been bulletproof.

Reactions: 68Rcodeman

Biginch Blake

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 4, 2008
Rockville, Indiana
The failures do not have anything to do with the top quality C&R coolers, they are the premier cooler manufacturer for racing. It is caused by the restriction in the cooler mounting. It can not expand and contract with the temperature changes.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
The failures do not have anything to do with the top quality C&R coolers, they are the premier cooler manufacturer for racing. It is caused by the restriction in the cooler mounting. It can not expand and contract with the temperature changes.
Do you think modifying the OEM mount, if possible, will extend the life of the stock cooler?

Reactions: Nafod

Nafod

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Curious what year your car is.. Updated mounts may have been incorporated in later year cars..
Blake, did you have to modify anything to get the heavy duty unit to fit? Thanks

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I can answer for Blake: yes and yes. His car is an H model. His original cooler started to leak and was replaced with an upgrade under warranty. It started to leak as well. The third time he replaced himself with the newest cooler. Some plumbing had to be rearranged and the mounting was altered. Curiously, the passenger side is a much better fit and seating. Blake can elaborate more.

Luckily he has his own lift at home and did not have to bend over.