05/06 street driven brake pads...

Tomcat

GT Owner
Looking for the modern replacement recommendation.
Thanks!

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
I'm still on my original stock pads and rotors at 85,000 miles with a half dozen track days. Why choose anything else?

Reactions: Nafod

Tomcat

GT Owner
I'm still on my original stock pads and rotors at 85,000 miles with a half dozen track days. Why choose anything else?
My OEM (48,000) seem to "squeal" at slow/parking lot speed...even though they still have good "meat" on them.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
My OEM (48,000) seem to "squeal" at slow/parking lot speed...even though they still have good "meat" on them.
You might try bedding them again. In a remote, safe area, take the car up to 60-80 mph and then just nail the brakes. Look for shortest possible stopping distance but try to stay just on the edge of ABS. Release the brakes just before a complete stop and accelerate back to 60-80 mph and repeat. Do this 3-4 times in a row. Important: After the last brake-to-almost-stop, try to be in an area where you can just drive the car at 35-40mph (or higher) WITHOUT having to use the brakes. Drive like this for 4-5 minutes if possible as you allow the brakes to cool and return to a normal temperature.

Reactions: 2112 and Tomcat

CanadaGT

GT Owner
Sep 28, 2006
Edmonton Alberta
I service my brake pads. Take apart and I use sandpaper on a flat surface, and resurface pad. Use a figure 8 motion to keep pad true and square. Takes all impurities off pad and resets material to as new. I put a very small amount of never seize on edges of brake pad that rubs and reinstall. This is something I learnt working at Toyota in th 1980's. Look up 48,000 km service. Pads last a long time except if overheated. imo

Reactions: 2112

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Tomcat: What nota4re is gently telling you is that you don't drive your car hard enough! Get out on I-10 or US98 and drive it like you mean it.

Tomcat

GT Owner
Tomcat: What nota4re is gently telling you is that you don't drive your car hard enough! Get out on I-10 or US98 and drive it like you mean it.
Oh, I got that! Somehow, I don't run my powerboat hard enough either???

HighHP

GT Owner
Jun 3, 2019
Spokane, WA
I service my brake pads. Take apart and I use sandpaper on a flat surface, and resurface pad. Use a figure 8 motion to keep pad true and square. Takes all impurities off pad and resets material to as new. I put a very small amount of never seize on edges of brake pad that rubs and reinstall. This is something I learnt working at Toyota in th 1980's. Look up 48,000 km service. Pads last a long time except if overheated. imo
I will add to this. Take a DA sander to your rotors. Rotate the rotor while you use the DA. Makes a very nice new surface.

Reactions: 2112

white out

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 22, 2011
Hawk HPS & HPS 5.0 are nice modern options

Reactions: Ravage

Submoose

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 28, 2023
St. Louis, MO

this was my choice. Lots of knowledge here to listen to, my choice was purely the 2 piece rotors, I’m happy with that design choice.

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
As an aside to this thread, I am pretty sure the 05-06 came OE with Ferodo disc pads. This was not hapenstance and I am sure the FGT brake team evaluated a number of pad candidates. Whether "modern" enough for you, these are the pads evaluated as most appropriate for the vehicle by the Ford engineering team.

I have a new set (eight total) of these OE 05-06 brake pads which I purchased at the end of the 06 production run. I would sell these for what I have in them $425. The pad backing bears the Brembo name and P/N 07.7275.47 and the backing plate bears "Ferodo HP1000/".

PM me if you have an interest or want photos.

CanadaGT

GT Owner
Sep 28, 2006
Edmonton Alberta
ANd I have rotors to match those pads.. Just saying.. Have lots of consumables to sell as I had planned on driving car to the Box.... lol

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
OE ford pads have been sold to a Forum member:)